Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Account purge and reissue...

From: "Sonder, Henk E." <hsonder () RIC EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2019 21:55:05 +0000

Jonathan,

I am a but late to this conversation, but thought I would not hurt.

  *   Every new person added to our ERP system is issued an account name 'for life', based on legal name and a unique
Person ID from the ERP system. We apply the same single naming convention to every individual.
  *   We do not purge the records (including account names) from our ERP system
  *   Based on a daily feed from the ERP system the AD User Objects are created/updated, so when a we do purge AD user
objects, the next time the same person starts a new relationship with the college, we create an AD User object based on
the account name from the ERP system.
  *   All employees have 2 email addresses, one based on the account name, we refer to that as the 'system-generated'
email address, and one based on their 'Preferred Name', the 'friendly' email address. Therefore. the latter can change
and is maintained in the AD. That means that if we purge the AD user object, that email address can be re-used. We park
inactive accounts for a number of years before releasing the friendly email address.
  *   We never have any duplicates as there can only be a one-to-one relationship. It rarely happens that a person is
entered twice into the ERP system, but that only means that the person will have 2 accounts for a brief amount of time
until we consolidate the 2 records into a single.
  *   Even when a person has multiple roles, they only have 1 account and 1 mailbox (with 2 or more email addresses
associated with it).
  *   This has shown to be a robust system that we have been using over 15 years, with a naming convention realignment
half way into this period. The AD UPN is pushed out (sync'd) to many other systems and we have yet to encounter a
ghost/phantom account floating around in any of the systems.

Thanks,

Henk E. Sonder
Director Information Security
Rhode Island College