Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Fake Diplomas

From: "Giacobe, Nick" <nxg13 () PSU EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 04:20:21 +0000

“In some cases, they advertise that they are fake diplomas, and in that case, I don’t have a problem because they’re
being honest.”

Seriously?  They’re being “honest” about being dishonest, so you’re ok just letting it go at that?  As long as these
characters are up front that they are fraudsters, that’s ok with you?  Here’s what they say on their “about us” page.
About us

Buy a degree or buy a diploma is more and more easier online. However, we need to choose carefully if we want to buy
high quality degree.Buy diploma, buy degree, first, we need to find a reliable company first. There is no doubt that we
are the top one in this field. Although many companies can make diploma, make degree, few of them can make customers
satisfied.Looking back our company’s history<https://www.fakecertificatemall.com/index.html>, we already have many
designers with rich experience. They have many years’ design experience. They are very skillful in making degree and
making diploma. Besides, we already have advanced hologram crafts, and we can make well the seal , Bronzing, laser, and
even a watermark. Of course, we also welcome customers to ask us to make hologram and laser. Greater quantity, cheaper
price.Are you struggling to get a good paying job… because you don’t have a college degree… and other job candidates
(who are less qualified than you) seem to YANK the good jobs right out of your hands? Have you hit the “glass ceiling”
at your job… because you don’t have a Bachelor, Masters or Doctorate Degree to MOVE UP HIGHER IN THE RANKS at your job…
(and you’re stuck with low-paying income for the next 5, 10 or 15 years of your life)? Are you too busy to get your
college degree… because you’re busy paying bills, working a 9 to 5, providing for your precious family? Do you feel
isolated, stuck, inadequate with your life’s progress… because people your friends and family have degrees… but you
don’t… and there’s nothing you can do about it – because you’re too old to learn all the “new stuff”? Have you reached
a point in life where you know in the bottom of your heart you could live a better life, earn more money, be more
successful if people would just “give you a chance” – WITHOUT a degree?
I would hope that someone would at least get the Wordpress site yanked down. I submitted a complaint under the
“abusive” category since the “infringing on my copyright” led me down a DMCA pathway, which really isn’t the right kind
of thing.  This activity is “illegal” and therefore violates the “terms of service” – for which they do not have a
radio button choice.

If more people from different institutions also reported this same site – there is some hope that “every single one is
read (by a real human being),” and those human beings actually do something.

Maybe your university attorneys should contact them via legal () wordpress com<mailto:legal () wordpress com> or file
an action against Wordpress itself for hosting a site selling illegal materials.  After being notified of such, that
puts Wordpress in the exciting position as being party to the fraud. I don’t think they really want to be in that place
– so the first cease and desist letter they get will probably have the desired effect.

I’ve reported it to our General Counsel’s office. I hope you do the same with yours.  However, I completely realize
that this is simply a game of whack-a-mole. This site will come down and they’ll start up a new one.  I suspect that
this is the normal course of business for these sites. By the way, as far as I can tell, this site has only been up
since Nov 11, 2018.

By the way, this particular group is not new.  If you use the language in the “about us” page as a search string, you
find that this exact text is used by several sites and has been for over two years.   This blog
posting<https://wonkhe.com/blogs/registrarism-faking-it-made-up-universities-and-degrees/> identifies this particular
string of fraudsters from 2016 from a site then listed at http://www.iricocp.com/ (which now auto-closes when you open
the site).  However, if you open the site on The Internet Archive, you can see it was pretty active in 2016 and offered
that you could get your diploma in a few as 10 days from their service.
https://web.archive.org/web/20160116154331/http://www.iricocp.com/<https://web.archive.org/web/20160116154331/http:/www.iricocp.com/>

What can we “really” do about it?  Probably nothing. There would have to be an extensive investigation, court filings,
cases, trials without defendants - - because all of these actors are probably in no-extradition countries.  So, take it
to your legal office, but I’d expect them to roll their eyes into the backs of the heads and say – sure – let me put it
on the pile with the other ones.  That doesn’t mean we should ignore it and do nothing. We should at least rip down the
sites we can – like this Wordpress site.  There is no reason that shouldn’t be taken down now.

-- Nick

---
Nicklaus A. Giacobe, Ph.D.
Director of Undergraduate Programs and Assistant Teaching Professor
Phone: 814-865-8233
College of Information Sciences and Technology
Penn State University
E333 Westgate Building
University Park, PA 16802