Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [External Sender] [SECURITY] Restricting PC Admin Rights

From: Frank Barton <bartonf () HUSSON EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2018 13:44:49 -0400

We have been fluctuating around various points of "no local admin
privileges" for a while. with more and less strict requirements for
exceptions.

One note that I would make for those of you that are in the process of
removing local admin privileges is to make sure that you have a very robust
remote support system that allows your support techs to elevate, even if
the machine is off-campus. All too often people will go to a conference for
whatever, and need to install specific software, or a new update to
software while at the conference in order for them to be able to fully
participate.

We actually have two systems in place for just that occurrence: 1) our
remote support system allows us to pre-install a service that can be
remotely elevated (GoToAssist), so that we can remotely assist users. 2) we
have an on-campus password vault that automatically changes passwords on
all university systems every 30 days (or more frequently if manually
triggered) so that if (1) fails, we can give them the administrator
password, trigger the reset, and as soon as the computer returns to campus,
it is reset.

Now, that being said, I fully support removing local administrative
privileges, and managing by exception in those cases where there is a
documented need (laboratory hardware jumps to mind as something that has
been problematic) Removing local admin privileges has saved us a lot of
work on more than one occasion when faculty and staff have downloaded
dubious applications, or been hit with various social engineering attacks.

Frank