Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Networking Design Recommendations for Scientific Equipment

From: Alex Keller <axkeller () STANFORD EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 21:19:02 +0000

Nicklaus et al,

I don’t have any specific recommendations to share but am keenly interested in this topic. We support dozens of
research labs with network capable scientific equipment (either direct Ethernet/WiFi or via a workstation purpose built
and sold with the device) which does NOT meet our campus minimum security standards for network access. These
conditions have organically evolved into labs without any network (Sneakernet and USB drives), private LANs with no
Internet gateway, folks lobbying for exceptions to the standards, rogue WiFi, LTE hotspots, and everything in between.

I’ve mused about possible approaches like a private LAN with hardened proxy kiosk for access (and export of data) to
the public network.

I would be happy to discuss offline, please keep me posted.

Best,
Alex

Alex Keller
Stanford | Engineering
Information Technology
axkeller () stanford edu<mailto:axkeller () stanford edu>
(650)736-6421