Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Shodan value

From: Kevin Wilcox <wilcoxkm () APPSTATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 09:07:59 -0400

On 28 July 2017 at 01:53, Cameron Dixon <cameron.dixon () hq dhs gov> wrote:

Hello there, new listserv-er here. I'm the ops lead for the DHS NCATS scanning service mentioned previously-- a
colleague of mine alerted me to this discussion, so I hope you'll forgive the interjection. Cyber Hygiene, our
service that scans internet-facing systems, is (basically) available to all comers, and the
https://github.com/dhs-ncats/services link outlines the contours of the service decently-- I'm also happy to answer
any questions you might have.

<snip>

Wait a second, let me get this right.

There's an entity offering a service and you represent that
entity...so you're basically a vendor...but you don't reference
Gartner whitepapers, you don't mention being a leader in the Magic
Quadrant or "best in breed/class" and you aren't going on about how
your "next gen scanning service" can detect all the things and help
identify problems with machine learning/next gen AI/etc.

Does anyone know if Cameron and this "DHS" actually exist or is this
an elaborate Sys-Admin Day hoax to Rick-roll everyone visiting their
github project?

Seriously, welcome to the group. I don't know if/when the SPC program
committee will hit you up to be in Baltimore, or if any schools who
are using the service are interested in presenting about their
experiences, but I know *I* would certainly try to go to a
presentation by <x schools> and the ops lead for a .gov vulnerability
scanning service.

kmw