Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HECVAT Security Assessment Question

From: Shelton Waggener <swaggener () INTERNET2 EDU>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 15:01:14 +0000

At Internet2, it is our intention to require HECVAT from every provider, without exception, if they want to move
forward with full service validation for participation in our national cloud service offering efforts (NET+). Since we
have about 1600 campuses now eligible to subscribe to those services that should help push the broader provider
community in the direction. In the case where IBM (or similar) says “We have tons of documentation that covers this
already” we would likely have to develop a mapping activity so we can still use HECVAT as the master document, even if
in some cases it is functions as an Index.  I will be working with Nick Lewis and the Educause team on that process so
we can make all those documents available to all interested campuses.

For the stuff that’s under NDA, we already have a process to put those materials in a view only credential walled
environment so might be good to test that out with a company like IBM on the process for access.

Shel

Shelton Waggener
Senior Vice President
Internet2

mailto: <swaggener () internet2 edu<mailto:swaggener () internet2 edu>>
office: 510-858-0881
mobile: 510-710-3360
twitter: shelwaggener
6001 Shellmound Street, Suite 850
Emeryville, CA 94608

Assistant: Elaine Alejo
mailto: <ealejo () internet2 edu<mailto:ealejo () internet2 edu>>
office: 510-858-0881