Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft LAPS

From: "Gioia, Matthew P." <MGioia () STLCC EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 16:57:55 +0000

We are currently rolling out a new process for this, using a powershell script provided by Jason Fossen:

https://cyber-defense.sans.org/blog/2013/08/01/reset-local-administrator-password-automatically-with-a-different-password-across-the-enterprise

We have tweaked it to our environment, and have tiers of local admins (servers, desktops, etc.) that require use of
different certificates to obtain the encrypted passwords. We are a medium sized shop so the certificate management is
not awful. We are also contemplating integrating this with smartcards (storing the recovery cert on them) in the future.

I, and our infrastructure folks, preferred this solution over LAPS for some of the reasons mentioned in the article.

Matthew Gioia
314.539.5075
Information Security, IT
St. Louis Community College