Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft LAPS

From: "Haas, Mike" <mhaas () LRHSD ORG>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2017 16:46:12 +0000

I believe you should use caution if assigning local admin privileges in this fashion (GPO) – it’s a slippery slope to
creating an ad hoc domain admin group. As you add users to the “Desktop Admins” group and then add computers to that
group anyone of those users has local admin rights to anyone of those computers. This can come back to bite you if any
of those users gets infected with malware that enumerates the network. We handle these types of needs on a case by case
basis.  We also don’t allow anyone in the domain admin group  to login to workstations with their domain admin
credentials. Those that have domain admin rights use their normal user to logon and utilize run as when needed.

Have been looking at implementing LAPS for local accounts. Right now it’s a one off situation per user.

Michael Haas
Information Technology Coordinator
Lenape Regional High School District