Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: NGFW Usage Information

From: "Ferguson, Michael" <mferguson () CHAPMAN EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 22:42:50 +0000

It was about 2 years ago that we did our Next-Gen FW POC.  We didn't consider Juniper SRX's as finalists at the time
because we were already running them at our DR site and the ability to manage complex policy configurations via a Web
GUI was torturously slow.  We generally had to revert to CLI to do configuration changes because of problems with the
Web UI.  It's gotten a little better since version 15, but in my humble opinion it's not at the level of usability of
Palo Alto or Fortinet.  Otherwise, I think Juniper is a great networking company and we use them extensively in our
network.

I can't speak about Checkpoint to any great degree, but I knew colleagues that had problems of them scaling at high
levels of bandwidth usage particularly when doing Application Control.  We therefore didn't include them as finalist in
our POC because of problems reported by others.  Hopefully CP has gotten better, but I think you would want to oversize
by at least a factor of 2 (if not more) whatever they recommend to you.  I wish we had considered Sonicwall during our
POC as I would've really liked to have known how well they perform.  But we factored them out because they just don't
provide a meaningful CLI, unlike Palo Alto or Fortinet.  And regarding Cisco Firepower, the combination of
ASA+Sourcefire is still too convoluted and doesn't compare to the usability of Palo Alto or Fortinet, yet it was
supposed to be fully integrated by now when we talked to them 2 years ago.

So for our POC, the 2 finalists were a Palo Alto 5060 and a Fortinet 3700D (we also included Stonesoft--now owned by
Forcepooint--but we ruled them out during testing due to stability problems which likely have been fixed by now).  We
did multiple tests to both solutions, such as using a visibility fabric to copy our production traffic to each solution
simultaneously, assessing Security Effectiveness (with NSS Labs' help) and finally overall ease of use and
manageability.  But for us, the differentiator was running Breaking Point tests that simulated real-traffic flow so we
could estimate expected performance for a certain amount of aggregate bandwidth, especially to know how each box would
perform 3-5 years from now as our bandwidth increased.

The network topology for the Breaking Point tests was fairly simple:  1 10G ingress port and 1 10G egress port, turning
on many NGFW features simultaneously:  App Control/ID, URL Filtering, A/V, IPS and Full Logging of all sessions.  The
tests we ran included the base NSS Labs tests of sending 44K, 32K and 16K http packets at high rates.  We also used a
breaking point test created by Palo Alto based on an AVR (Application Visibility Report) for edu customers and another
breaking point test developed with Fortinet that simulated a high amount of multi-media content along with other
applications like email, dns, ftp and p2p.

I can say the Fortinet 3700D performed twice as fast as the PAN 5060 in all tests, with no errors.  As a result, we
selected Fortinet and we've been very happy with their solution since.  It was also 30% cheaper than the Palo Alto
solution.  And we feel it gives us at least 3 more years of full capability before we have to think about upgrading.
However, if we had chosen PAN, we would probably need to think about upgrading next year due to some of the performance
limitations we noticed during our Breaking Point tests.

That said, Palo Alto has finally come out with their 5200 series of firewall boxes that hopefully overcome the
performance issues we noticed with the 5000 series.  I can't speak to how well they've improved in this new line, but I
would certainly throw a Breaking Point at it to confirm.  In the case of ease-of-use, Palo Alto did a little better
than Fortinet, but not by much.  Also, PAN's tech support is well-known to be very good, but we've found Fortinet's
support to be perfectly adequate and better than other vendors' support that we rely on.

--
Mike Ferguson
Chapman University