Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Managed AV

From: "Hagan, Sean" <sean.hagan () YC EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2017 17:07:02 +0000

We considered nine different products and did on-site evals of six of them (not all would be considered "AV" - they
might be considered NGAV or simply anti-malware or EPP/EDR).  Ended up selecting Trend Micro and have been generally
very pleased (but we're not using many of the more advanced features at the moment).  This replaced Microsoft's SCEP.
I will say price and ease of management were our primary considerations.  This will vary by geographic area, but we
also had excellent sales and SE reps for Trend, and while I personally liked the Sophos product better, their sales and
SE reps didn't represent the product well and didn't give us confidence that we'd get good support if we needed it.
They also tried to pull a fast one on us during the final quotation process.

Products we considered:
Sophos (Cloud Endpoint + InterceptX) *
Kaspersky *
Carbon Black (Protect and Defense, although we spent more time looking at Protect) *
MalwareBytes
Trend Micro (Smart Protection Complete)*
Cisco AMP *
HEAT Software Lumension (pretty sure the name has changed now)
Palo Alto Traps *
CyberArk

* = we conducted an on-site trial of these.

Happy to speak about any of this or share pricing information if it's helpful - it's now at least four months old, and
was based on ~500 endpoints since we were only going to protect employee workstations, but you could at least see
relative differences.

Regards,

Sean

Sean Hagan