Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Virtual Routing for Voice Traffic

From: John Reilly <reilly.j () GMERCYU EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 10:47:53 -0400

Hi John,

We're running an Avaya VOIP system and we run voice on its own vlan. The
phone normally acts as a small switch to the users pc so we run a data vlan
along with the voice on the same switch port. We also trust DSCP along with
a global & port QOS. We didn't see the need along with the cost to setup a
completely separate network just of VOIP. We have 2 remote sites that are
connected to our main campus using MPLS for voice and admin data.

jdr

John D. Reilly, CISSP
Director Enterprise Systems & IT Security
Gwynedd  Mercy University
1325 Sumneytown Pike
Gwynedd Valley, Pa. 19437
E-mail:reilly.j () gmercyu edu