Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: password length and required reset

From: Adam Maynard <AMaynard () CLARKU EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 20:33:10 +0000

14 Characters is kinda crazy, unless you’re working with highly sensitive or DOD data (then MFA anyway). It’s really a
burden for users.

There’s a new realization that non-user
friendly<https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/08/18/nists-new-password-rules-what-you-need-to-know/> passwords with a
short change
period<http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/08/frequent-password-changes-are-the-enemy-of-security-ftc-technologist-says/>
 leads to less security.

Abnormal User Behavior / Anomaly detection & 2FA (min 8 digit pin/pass) is a good goal to shoot for, in my view.

  _