Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Secure HIPAA Solution for Sharing Psychology Clinical Videos

From: "Shankar, Anurag" <ashankar () IU EDU>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 17:42:58 +0000

Hello Chris,

As pointed out by others, there is simply no way for a vendor (or a university) to enforce security at the user end.
The best you can do is to secure your end, identify risks that user workflows pose, and address them as best as you can.

This this may be useful in other contexts, I will expanding on Kevin’s theme.  HIPAA is not meant to be
control-centric.  It is all about risk management using reasonable and appropriate safeguards (i.e., controls are
secondary to risk).  The regulators are not looking for herculean and/or unachievable measures.  They do not expect
breach elimination either, just a structure that minimizes the risk of having one and is nimble enough to respond
quickly when it occurs (which it will, sooner or later).  This is the premise we have used successfully at Indiana
University to handle HIPAA for our central IT organization for nearly a decade.  We use a NIST Risk Management
Framework for compliance, which helps us allow PHI on many central systems.  We also tell our users that HIPAA
compliance is not possible merely by using these systems.  We tell them that *they* have to implement whatever
safeguards may be necessary at their end to complement ours before the *institution* can satisfy HIPAA.  We then
provide them assistance to determine what these safeguards should be.

As regards storage, since proliferation of PHI on laptops, etc. is the biggest risk to PHI, we give our users a
risk-optimized, central storage option for PHI, namely IU’s Box Enterprise instance (we have a BAA with Box).  They use
“Box Health Data Accounts”, institutionally owned accounts with enhanced, local controls.  We determined that the
primary risk to PHI was not at the vendor end (we did an extensive review of Box using the HIPAA Security Rule Toolkit
and found that their controls were plenty good).  It was local.  So that is where we focused our attention.

The approach I’d recommend is as follows:

1.       Find any storage and/or streaming vendor that is willing to sign a BAA.

2.       Do a vendor risk assessment and/or transfer the infrastructure risk to the vendor.

3.       Identify potential user workflows.

4.       Do a risk assessment to identify areas of risk that the workflows represent.

5.       Design a risk-optimized solution

a.       Provide resources (education, tools) to the users to mitigate those risks.

b.       Institute policies and procedures (and point to sanctions) to guide user behavior.

6.       Document it all.

This I believe will satisfy HIPAA any day.

Regards,

Anurag

---
Anurag Shankar,  Ph.D.  Email: ashankar [at] iu.edu  Phone: +1 (812) 856-6978
Center for Applied Cybersecurity Research, Pervasive Technology Institute, Indiana University
2719 E. 10th Street, Suite 231, Bloomington, IN 47408