Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

seeking input on log analysis for identifying suspicious activity

From: Alex Keller <axkeller () STANFORD EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 01:30:08 +0000

Hi EDUCAUSE Security folks,

We are seeking input on log analysis for identifying suspicious activity and
relevant security conditions. Scope is open ended but we are starting with
Windows and Linux servers. Assuming log aggregation is in place and pulling
native OS logs (plus perhaps anti-virus, host based IDS, maybe even netflow,
etc)....WhatÂ’s next with respect to identifying anomalous or suspect
behavior, determining alert thresholds, and tuning for investigative
response?

We have reviewed some excellent resources like the NSA's "Spotting the
Adversary with Windows Event Log Monitoring"* but are left wondering how
others have approached more general questions like "What types of behaviors
and conditions are we trying to detect?", "How do we determine what normal
looks like?", "What events should generate an alert versus being sent to a
dashboard for aggregate analysis?", etc.

Our inquiry is less about the nuts and bolts of implementing log aggregation
and more about how to holistically analyze the resulting data in a
meaningful and sustainable manner. I am reticent about SIEM magic that can
"find the bad guys", but if you love a specific vendor in this space, please
do tell.

Along these lines this MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Lab
project piqued our interest:
https://news.mit.edu/2016/ai-system-predicts-85-percent-cyber-attacks-using-
input-human-experts-0418

Best,
Alex

*NSA - Spotting the Adversary with Windows Event Log Monitoring:
https://www.iad.gov/iad/library/reports/spotting-the-adversary-with-windows-
event-log-monitoring.cfm

*Detecting Lateral Movement in APTs - Analysis Approach on Windows Event
Logs: https://www.first.org/resources/papers/conf2016/FIRST-2016-105.pdf

*SANS - Detecting Security Incidents Using Windows Workstation Event Logs:
https://www.sans.org/reading-room/whitepapers/logging/detecting-security-inc
idents-windows-workstation-event-logs-34262

Alex Keller
Stanford | Engineering
Information Technology
axkeller () stanford edu