Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

HIPAA / HITECH Compliant Video Conferencing Solution

From: "Gregg, Christopher S." <csgregg () STTHOMAS EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 20:06:02 +0000

We have been asked recently about what video conferencing tools in portfolio, if any, would be considered HIPAA
compliant if a student had to finish their counseling related practicum remotely.  This was posed as a "what if"
question for now, but I couldn't find many clear answers when I started to investigate.  It looks like Skype for
Business probably is not considered HIPAA compliant.   Cisco seems to be saying WebEx is compliant, but I am not seeing
any third party corroboration of that.  Then there are medical field specific tools like LuxSci that are compliant, but
since we already have Skype for Business and WebEx I'd prefer to use a solution we already have.

Does anyone here have experience with this situation and/or have a recommended solution?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Gregg
Associate Vice President of Information Security & Risk Management, CISO
Information Technology Services (ITS)
csgregg () stthomas edu<mailto:csgregg () stthomas edu>
University of St. Thomas | stthomas.edu<https://www.stthomas.edu/>

[University of St. Thomas : All for the Common Good]<http://www.stthomas.edu/e>