Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Guest Wi-Fi Access

From: Tim Doty <tdoty () MST EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 16:21:53 -0500

Knowing who is on your network is a good thing, but for most EDUs not really 100% achievable. And this state does not violate any federal regulation that I'm aware of.

As for CALEA specifically, it is essentially about having the ability to tap as required for law enforcement, so when you get a court order saying you must provide a wiretap for a certain IP address (or subscriber) you cannot get away with saying "but I can't do that".

CALEA is really aimed at service providers and their subscribers. A service provider is required to have the ability to tap into their subscriber's communications. This is why CALEA was such a big deal for Skype and isn't so much of an issue for public networks.

Put another way, your guest network is not meaningfully different from that in a coffee shop. And they cannot comply with CALEA for their guests either.

If you are concerned about guest wifi, what about guest terminals in the library?

It may have been a while, but CALEA has been talked about before on this list so a search of the archives should succeed in finding more conversation on the topic.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.