Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Guest Wi-Fi Access

From: Brian Epstein <bepstein () IAS EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 16:47:02 -0400

Jim,

For us, we have an unencrypted guest network that is kept separate from
our campus network with a firewall.  There are very few resources that
it can communicate with other than the Internet.

We do have a registration portal.  An anonymous guest will have two
weeks access before being reprompted to register again.  If you have
access credentials, you can register a device permanently, until your
access credentials are revoked.  This is mostly for gaming systems and
other convenience items that need Internet access.

For day to day computing, we have an authenticated 802.1x WPA2 encrypted
network.  We are also big supporters of eduroam.org for federated access
for academics (I highly recommend looking into this for your campus if
you aren't already using it).  Eduroam allows academics from other
schools to get Internet access without needing to register, with the
advantage of you being able to contact their school if they go rogue on
your network.

We haven't looked at any regulations or requirements as the anonymous
networks don't have access to any classified data networks.

Thanks,
Brian