Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Inspecting encrypted traffic

From: Brian Epstein <bepstein () IAS EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 16:15:41 -0500

John, Angelo,

I've been to a few talks in the past years that have been talking about
alternatives to deep packet inspection, in part, due to the widespread
use of TLS.  HTTP/2 is practically requiring TLS, especially if you want
to use the SPDY protocol that Google developed.

Personally, I see this as a time to change the way we think about
signature based deep packet inspection.  Using SSL bump to implement a
MitM might work for now, but I don't see it as viable in the long term.

For us, we are focusing on DNS queries of known malicious hosts, netflow
and heavily segmenting different user and data roles.  For malware, we
are working more on endpoint protection and quarantine and the
realization that bad actors are already inside the network.

I understand your point of view, though, traffic analysis shows that
malware is now starting to fly in under the radar due to encryption.
The goal of encryption is to prevent inspection of the data, though.
So, what comes next to prevent SSL MitM deep packet inspection?

Or perhaps, users will be upset for a little while, and then become
complacent to the fact that someone is looking at their data.  I
seriously doubt this statement and think that security professionals
like ourselves need to find a new methodology than signature based
packet inspection.

To Angelo's point from a vendor perspective, I agree that current
products aren't going to be as effective without providing decryption.
I think that those vendors need to realize that this is happening and
refocus their efforts on finding new methodologies that are both
effective and will fly with customer expectations of privacy.  This
isn't an easy problem to solve, but I think it is something that will
separate the field in the years to come.

Again, every school and business is different in culture and what is
acceptable.  There are schools out there right now that are running very
effective security programs without using NAT and not owning a single
firewall.  I applaud them for being able to do that.  We run a central
NG firewall with built in IPS that I fully envision won't be relevant in
5 years due to this issue.  We'll see what happens.

Stimulating conversation, would love to hear more perspectives on it.

Also, I have to plug the Educause Security Professionals conference
coming up April 18-20 in Seattle, WA.

http://www.educause.edu/events/security-professionals-conference

This would be a great conversation to have at one of the birds of a
feather sessions or informally over dinner with some of our colleagues.
 Let me know if you are going to be there.

Thanks,
ep