Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Inspecting encrypted traffic

From: John LaPrad <jrl () SVSU EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 10:21:34 -0500

Thanks Brian for your thoughtful comments. I agree, there are serious issues with decrypting 'secure' connections. This
topic came up at our institution and I want to give it a thorough examination. Encrypted traffic is increasing
constantly. I did a URL analysis of our encrypted traffic to see where folks were going. It was somewhat similar to the
non-encrypted traffic.

In order of connection count:

    * browsing; educational, business, economy, news,
    * streaming media
    * phishing (blocked by url bad list)
    * advertisments
    * social media
    * training
    * games
    * shopping
The traffic patterns are quite similar between encrypted and non-encrypted sessions (Netflix being one of the main
differences). If the traffic is similar, the risks are also going to be similar. People have made a case for inspecting
regular traffic (layer 7 firewalls are everywhere), couldn't the same case be made for encrypted traffic? For me, I see
the same need to inspect it as regular traffic. Just because it's encrypted doesn't mean it's more secure from malware
or bad intentions then un-encrypted traffic. There was a time when encryption was only used for financials, but that is
no longer the case.

However, the reasons you mention; enduser trust, privacy, compliance are important. I'm not sure yet what we'll do, but
I do see it coming though.

John