Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DMCA Notices

From: Ben Marsden <bmarsden () SMITH EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 10:43:14 -0400

I'm about to formally propose a change to default block BItTorrent (with
option to request on), so your breakdown, Tim, of legitimate use cases is
very helpful.  Thanks.

-- Ben

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Tim Doty <tdoty () mst edu> wrote:

On 10/08/2015 08:49 AM, Thomas Carter wrote:

We block P2P as well, but I was curious about those who got pushback on
it. Were legitimate use cases presented, or was it more of a “reducing
our freedom” type of argument? I realize there are some actual legal
uses, but a vast majority of the use cases I have seen are generally
just alternatives to existing methods. I wanted to be better prepared
for the day we get pushback as well.

For what its worth, the only push back we ever got was from students. I
don't recall any real issues with respect to conventional file downloading.
The number one excuse I've heard is linux, but at least one of the
following applied:

  - could not name a distro they were trying to download
  - named distro had ftp or direct http download

Our exception policy required investigating alternative sources or methods.

The only issues I observed were nearly all gaming related:

  - blizzard updates are via bit torrent. You can configure it for direct
download, but blizzard throttles this to about 56k
  - games acting as a server. Technically this is in violation of our
resnet policy (running servers is not allowed)
  - online game matching. Some game matching services either use p2p or
mimic it sufficiently that some of their traffic gets blocked.
  - software update. There is a marginal antivirus where the "free"
version only updates via bit torrent (I don't remember the name). This was
the only non-gaming problem I ever saw.

Supposedly some games were prevented from functioning due to the block
(dropped connections), but this followed the user and not the game which
leads to an expectation that it was not an issue with the game and the p2p
block, but with the user's operating environment.

In the end, for us this ceased to be an issue when we retired the traffic
shaper and utilized a Palo Alto for blocking p2p.

Tim Doty

Thomas Carter

Network & Operations Manager

Austin College