Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Dell SonicWall SuperMassive 9000 Series

From: "Edamala, Robert M" <edamala () UTA EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 14:01:14 -0500

Greetings,

For those of you on REN-ISAC, apologies for the cross post.

We're looking at SuperMassive 9000 Series for SPI and DPI. I'm curious to know if any institutions have it deployed (at
the perimeter or other high bandwidth choke points) and what your experience has been relative to
stability/performance/detection/false positives etc. Additionally, I'm curious about SonicWall support in terms of
speed and quality of response.

The SonicWall RFDPI sounds intriguing, and based on independent reviews of the devices, I haven't come across any red
flags. Gartner cautions that these devices are not widely deployed in large enterprises, which gives me pause. Based on
feedback (or general lack thereof) on REN-ISAC, it does not appear as though SonicWalls are widely deployed in higher
ed.

I'm curious about SonicWalls in general and so while my focus is on the SuperMassives, please feel free to comment on
the product line in general.

Regards,

Bobby

---
Robert Edamala, CISSP, CISA, Six Sigma, ITIL
Chief Information Security Officer & Director of Information Security
University of Texas at Arlington
817-272-5487

Regards,

Bobby