Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Duo: love it or not so much?

From: Paul Chauvet <chauvetp () NEWPALTZ EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 13:59:49 -0400

Hi Emily (from our college neighbor from across the river),

We've been using Duo for about two months now. We only have it on a small amount of systems at this point (VPN,
Confluence & Jira for IT staff, some remote desktop and SSH applications). Over the next few months we expect to have
it for administrative access to many other systems.

Our hope is that we will use it for Banner and a few other sensitive systems for a larger population of 200-300 faculty
and staff this time next year, primarily by integrating it with CAS.

Our experiences with Duo have been very positive so far. It is able to 'hook into' a ton of systems with relatively
little trouble. We expect to start using the Duo Authentication Proxy for a few systems (like vCenter & Dell Kace)
which don't otherwise support two factor but haven't test it yet.

Paul Chauvet
Information Security Officer
State University of New York at New Paltz

Phone: (845) 257-3828
chauvetp () newpaltz edu