Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Google "unusual traffic" captcha

From: "Blackwood, James" <jblackwood () LAGRANGE EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 16:09:08 +0000

We’ve been getting this off and on for the past couple of days.  I’ve seen it once before a year or two ago but it
resolved itself.  I get that there must be something on our network that Google has decided is making automated search
requests which is a violation of their terms of service.

I created a port monitor on our internet firewall and looked at the traffic destined for 215.58.219.164 (www.google.com
based on my DNS lookup) using WireShark and see, as expected, a ton of traffic but not necessarily a ton of traffic
from a single host.  Does anyone have any pointers on what specifically to look for?

Thanks,
James

James Blackwood
Director of Information Technology