Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Student domain password expiration policy

From: Thomas Carter <tcarter () AUSTINCOLLEGE EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 14:05:20 +0000

While a much smaller institution, we implemented an annual password change for students a year and a half ago. Students
are used to having to change passwords and create complex, secure passwords, so we didn’t need to do much communication
there. Our primary focus at first was to communicate that the password change was coming. We involved Student Life to
communicate through RAs and others, put signs everywhere, sent reminder emails, and placed posters outside the entrance
to the cafeteria. It’s also in our IT portion of freshmen orientation.

The second issue for communication is password expiration. Since students aren’t frequently logging in to a system that
will warn them of impending password expiration, we needed an alternate method. We use ManageEngine’s ADSelfService for
students to change their own passwords; it also has the ability to send emails to users if their password is expiring
within a specified time. The email message is configurable as well.

I’d say it’s gone very smoothly for us; we’re past the initial change as well as the first expiration. Help desk calls
have been minimal to non-existent.  Faculty and staff password changes on the other hand….

Thomas Carter
Network & Operations Manager
Austin College