Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email forwarding for former faculty?

From: Miguel Angel Gonzalez de la Torre <mglez () ITESM MX>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 01:45:18 +0000

Hello.

Here at ITESM we give emeritus an option to keep the email, but no other services. But we check for activity every now
and then.
For faculty that leave, they get the email for 8 months, time enough to return to other semester (skipping one).
Then all the services and credentials are disable.

Here the risk is that a person can use the active email to speak of a job relationship when there is not, so is kind of
legal issue.
And the risk of the email reputation if the account is compromised, as Don has remarked.
Hope it helps.

Ing. Miguel Angel González de la Torre, MCC
Director Seguridad de la Información
Dirección de Tecnologías de Información
Contáctame por Lync<sip:mglez () itesm mx>

Tel.: 52 (81) 8158 2000, ext. 2936. Fax: 81 81582287
Enlace intercampus: 80-689-2936.