Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ADFS experience with Sharepoint and other SSO/SAML systems

From: Dexter Caldwell <dexter.caldwell () FURMAN EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 18:34:21 +0000

We went to Office 365 as an early adopter and used ADFS 2.0 for authentication with load balancers from a recommended
list of brands we found on Microsoft web pages at the time.  (We chose A10 load balancers due to all features being
included, price point, feature set and specs for the money).  In any case, it's been running great ever since then. We
also federated our on-prem SharePoint instance to it, but it's SP2010 at the moment.  ADFS has been rock solid for us
with about the only issue being if you have certificate expiry issues on either SharePoint or Office 365.  We have had
the occasional issue once we were getting off the ground and running but most of those smoothed out eventually as we
tweaked some of the load balancing configuration to be slightly less smart than we tried to make it.  You definitely
want a hardware load balancer.  I'm not sure how many servers everyone else uses for AFDFS and ADFS proxies, but mine
tend to get pounded heavily.  I did not necessarily choose hardware SSL accelerator cards though as my requirements
were within the specs of the A10's without the extra card.  I will also point out that while there are other ways, to
go, if you do ADFS, you'll benefit from having it in place for other things you may want to use with Microsoft's Cloud
services- which seems to be a strong direction in other areas as well.

Dexter Caldwell
Dir. Systems & Networks
Information Technology Services
Furman University
3300 Poinsett Hwy
Greenville, SC 29613
email: dexter.caldwell () furman edu<mailto:dexter.caldwell () furman edu>
office: 864-294-3566