Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ADFS experience with Sharepoint and other SSO/SAML systems

From: Kevin Halgren <kevin.halgren () WASHBURN EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 17:18:57 +0000

I can't find it now, but I found an article at one point on the Microsoft blog where they mentioned that, despite the
Microsoft network load balancer being explicitly on the Exchange installation instructions, the Microsoft internal
Exchange team strongly recommended against it for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was reliability.

We're running the Loadbalancer.org load balancer in the AWS cloud at the moment - primarily because it was the cheapest
option.  If our Internet link goes down, so does the link to that load balancer, but on the other hand if the Internet
goes down so does our access to Office 365, so it doesn't matter so much anyway.  We can do a workaround with a DNS
change to on-campus resources if there is an extended outage so at least we have a fallback plan.

Kevin