Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: WSJ Article - A Contrarian View on Data Breaches

From: "Hudson, Edward" <ehudson () CALSTATE EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 10:10:37 -0700

Being a bit contrary myself of the sake of discussion.. But what makes it
a situational ethics issue? Or ethics issue at all?

When sociologist Raymond Baumhard asked "What does Ethics mean to you?" He
got a myriad of responses along societal,legal and religious lines.
Societally speaking most people accept standards that are "ethical" but I
would argue that societally we seem to have come to expect a certain
amount of this kind of breach related organizational behavior.  Ethics
isn't the same as following the law. We have had laws that weren't
necessarily ethical (slavery, etc) My point isn't to poke at Harry at all,
but to offer that these are business decisions being made by businesses
and we should expect no less until (and if) consumers and the law make it
more painful when there is a breach.  Information security is about
managing risk and the risk tolerance of organizations is widely divergent.
A recent article on LinkedIn regarding the plight of todays CISO's
recommended that we all go into a new job stating "there is going to be a
breach" and if an organization isn't accepting of that one should in the
words of Vigo Mortenson as Master Chief John Urgayle: "Seek employment
elsewhere"

Ed Hudson, CISM
Director, Information Security

401 Golden Shore
Long Beach, CA 90802
Tel 562-951-8431
ehudson () calstate edu

On 8/5/14 9:25 AM, "Harry Zahlis" <harry.zahlis () FRESNOCITYCOLLEGE EDU>