Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password expiration - was Re: [SECURITY] Security Awareness Programs

From: Roger A Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 15:14:51 +0000

 I think you are making the same argument Shane made which is over a
longer enough time, you start reducing your risk as only the most recent sites
(since the last forced password change) the user has created accounts at
have the same password as your local site.

Sure.  I think what I was trying to add, unsuccessfully, is that the "data" could suggest that what we're saying is
true.  There have been many pastebin's at this point that have had accounts from our institution.  So far, I am aware
of none that compromised credentials.  While I have no indication that these accounts ever used our password, I suggest
that it seems likely that at least some of them were at one time.  Now of course the contrary argument could be an
institution that never has password changes AND also hasn't had any compromised accounts, which takes us right back to
where we started.

In an effort to find closure, I'd suggest we're all basically on the same page.  Passwords are broken.  They have been
for a long time.  We need something better.  Some of us are trying various things to shore up the current system.