Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password expiration - was Re: [SECURITY] Security Awareness Programs

From: Mike Cunningham <mike.cunningham () PCT EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 15:09:51 +0000

To expand on the "annoyance" comment..

We all will accept a new student, create them an account, set an initial password, have them change it on first use to
one of their choosing, All is well and good in the world.
Then they come on campus...
They connect their laptop to wireless which embeds the password in the device.
They connect their phone to wireless which embeds the password in the device
They setup activesync on their phone which embeds the password in the app
They connect their tablet to wireless which embeds the password in the device
They setup activesync on their tablet which embeds the password in the app
They connect their IPTV to wireless which embeds the password in the device
They connect their game console to wireless which (might) embed the password in the device

Two months later we make them change their password and the chaos begins. They don't remember all the places they used
their password and those devices then try top connect, over and over again, and eventually disable the account. Student
tries to logon using the new password and can't. The student calls the helpdesk to report then can't logon and the
first thing the helpdesk does is reset the password. And the cycle continues. If the student does think about then need
to change the wireless device password they almost always forget that activesync needs changed too. One recent incident
we had it took almost three weeks to get a student back to normal because they had used a parents phone to setup their
email account and forget they did that.

And in another couple of months that will all happen again