Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Web Browsing Security

From: Isabelle Graham <graham () AMERICAN EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 09:51:35 -0400

We've gotten Ad Block added to our default image for Firefox, but many users run IE or install Chrome, so it's really guarding against one vector. I've long been a fan of Firefox myself, since you can configure it to purge cookies, cache, history, etc. on close. I find doing this along with Ad Block, Ghostery, and HTTPS Everywhere to be a decent balance between "The internet is broken" and "I just got randomly infected" but I'm not sure it's something I would recommend to end-users. I also find No Script to be a little ungainly and would welcome a "Allow this domain and any referenced domain, but only from this domain" (essentially trust anything this site does) feature.

Isabelle Graham
Information Security
American University