Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Reactions to reported NSA PRISM program

From: Emery Rudolph <erudolph () UMD EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 14:20:03 +0000

Gary,

I have had similar thoughts and have been on the fence about this, because I too see the value in the security agencies
having access to data that keeps our country, assets and friends safe. The issue invariably comes down to how willing
are we as a country to blatantly dismiss the 4th amendment rights to privacy, which parenthetically extent to modern
day areas like data. You hit the nail on the head when you said the issue is really the abuse of power, which is
absolutely 100% inevitable. It is in these abuses that we run the danger of unjustly persecuting and prosecuting people
because of personal and evil motives.

Our constitutional rights are not a hindrance to our safety, as much as they define who we are as a nation. Freedom of
privacy does necessitate that the intelligence community become more adept at finding effective ways to track those who
mean us harm, but in the end, that is much more palatable than simply gathering data on everyone and sifting through.
That is more than a slippery slope, it is a fast track to corruption of our values and a breakdown of our identity.

All of that is personal opinion and not reflective on any views of my institution.

On the matter of Information Technology - I am very interested to learn the actual mechanisms employed by the NSA to
house and mine this data, how much data do they collect and how long do they retain it? What types of infrastructures
they have in place to allow this to be efficient and effective. The NSA has the keys to most major technology ciphers,
but it is possible to still encrypt data with non-standard ciphers that use astronomically larger and stronger keys
offset enough to secure your data. Of course, this requires a lot of work and coordination, but can be done.

Very Best Regards,

Emery Rudolph, MS
Manager
IT-ETI-PS Enterprise UNIX Services