Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Program: NIST, ISO, other?

From: Dan Sarazen <dsarazen () BRANDEIS EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 19:12:28 -0500

I’ve got to agree with Steven. Using PCI DSS for your overall policy would
probably be expensive overkill. For example, PCI DSS requires (If your are
transmitting cardholder data over your network) that you document each and
every open firewall port and explain, in writing for each, the business
rational for the port being open.

Perhaps your QSA misspoke?

Good Luck.