Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Revisiting wireless NAC

From: Patrick Gorsuch <patrick.gorsuch () GALLAUDET EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 15:22:53 -0500

Take a look at IDPs that support IF-MAP (Juniper, Cisco, etc. are either in the game or planning to be there soon). Leveraging an orchestration server (InfoBlox term/name; or infranet controller if you're talking Juniper) and an dot-x implementation, malicious/bad activity detected by the IDP can trigger the flow of actions you describe. Ideally, IF-MAP is platform agnostic but with so few players, it's tough to tell just how well that's working out.

We're working toward a similar solution -- no posture check, watch for bad stuff at points of traffic consolidation, and take action accordingly -- using Juniper, InfoBlox, and GreatBay products. The user community (and support desk) definitely does not miss the fat NAC client.

- Pat

Patrick N. Gorsuch
Manager, Networks and Information Security
Gallaudet University
202-651-5070
patrick.gorsuch () gallaudet edu