Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Revisiting wireless NAC

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () UTC EDU>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 16:25:02 -0500

Touching on a few points in this thread... responses inline

On 1/4/2013 2:43 PM, David Curry wrote:
Back when we first implemented NAC (this is the second product),
requiring antivirus software was a major factor in keeping malware out
of our network. But as we all know, it's not that simple anymore--just
having antivirus isn't enough to keep the malware out

We also started with a "heavy handed, gatekeeper" NAC deployment.  The
gatekeeper aspect is what results in the most negative user reaction,
and it just gets worse when you periodically re-evaluate and force
remediation/quarantine on policy violations.  Over the years we have
downplayed the remediation aspect, but we do insist on the initial
registration and agent.  This firmly associates the user with the
host/device in question, and the agent registers all of the network
interfaces (wired/wireless/etc).

Why don't we get rid of the NAC all together? And instead, we'll just
let any device connect to the network (provided the user
authenticates), and let it do whatever it wants, right up until the
point at which it misbehaves.

Yes, and the "misbehavior" is typically identified only by IP address
(by your IDS/IPS/firewall/SIEM/etc).  Now you need to associate that
back to the user.  If you now quarantine the device, you have to insure
that you quarantine the WHOLE device (wired and wireless connections).

Instead of running the NAC system, we'll run some kind
of intrusion detection system that's looking for malicious traffic. If
it sees some, it will block the traffic from that device, and move the
device into a "quarantine" or "remediation" VLAN where the user can be
informed

This is essentially what we are doing, although there is not that much
"automated" quarantine action directly from the findings.  We evaluate
the IDS/IPS/etc information and have a manual process to perform the
quarantine action, and it also has a side database to track the reasons
(and device/user history).  It could be scripted to a greater degree of
automation for "highly reliable" indications of compromise, but we're
not there yet.  The Helpdesks (campus and student/resnet) have Senior
Techs that have access to clear the quarantine status after they are
addressed.

We would like some sort of "self-service, 3-strike" self-remediation
available, but again, we're not there yet.  If I had more programming
staff and hours available I'd love to address that, but we're a skeleton
crew with more than enough irons on the fire already.

So finally, my question: Has anybody implemented something like this?
If so, would you be willing to share how you did it?

It's based on Bradford, and works across our wired (Cisco, Procurve,
Brocade) and wireless (Aruba) networks, and we cover both Resnet and
campus.  We have been running with "remediation" disabled for the last
few years, but employ their "quarantine" (dead-end) for the cases such
as above.  We also tweaked the quarantine vlan to allow continued access
to our web site, helpdesk, email, so as not to completely cutoff the
victim user.

The "quarantine" however trumps everything else... you can quarantine an
unregistered MAC address... regardless of where they connect.  It's not
dependent upon registration or having an installed agent to handle the
magic.