Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Oxford and Google Apps

From: "Hall, Rand" <hallr () MERRIMACK EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 09:15:44 -0500

Thoughts:

1) The response seemed disproportionate to the perceived risk. They were
worried about being used as a spam platform and subsequently being
blacklisted--not having student/medical/financial info pilfered. Email
rate/quantity limiting might have been a better response.

2) They didn't think out the technical implications (with the rest of the
Google integration).

These lead me to think the OxCERT people were told to "Do something. Now!"

Hopefully this got some media traction somewhere. Google's inaction on this
long-standing issue is regrettable.  Maybe there's a silver lining...

Rand

Rand P. Hall
Director, Network Services                 askIT!
Merrimack College
978-837-3532
rand.hall () merrimack edu

If I had an hour to save the world, I would spend 59 minutes defining the
problem and one minute finding solutions. – Einstein