Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mitigating Phishing Attacks

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 22:24:15 +0000

At Utah State U, we  have invested a considerable effort in a "Be an Internet Skeptic" campaign which has a significant
focus on phishing.  As a result, I have a growing cadre of "Internet Skeptics" who send me any obvious or suspiciously
hazardous email so that I can investigate and, if appropriate, send a followup warning spam to all the recipients.  I
also submit abuse notices to the sending host site and link host sites, and may locally DNS blacklist the link host.

I guess the unspoken flip side of "Be and Internet Skeptic" is something like "Don't be Gullible (or worse)".  We try
to encourage good behavior rather than discipline poor behavior with this campaign.  This effort and the followup
messages have raised awareness broadly so that we don't have too many victims.  That's good because we haven't set up
any reliable detection schemes for sudden massive outbound spam.  But every new social engineering strategy needs the
explanatory alert messages to be sent to keep recipients well informed.

When we do detect active spamming, we first try to contact the user for an immediate password change.  Failing that, we
disable the account.  But that only happens about once a year.

Fortunately, we haven't had any OWA clone targeted phish, but we did have one google spreadsheet form that said it was
"Usu(sic) Webmail Login".

Bob Bayn    SER 301    (435)797-2396       IT Security Team
Office of Information Technology,     Utah State University
     three common hazardous email scams to watch out for:
     1) unfamiliar transaction report from familiar business
     2) attachment with no explanation in message body
     3) "phishing" for your email password