Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Linux sensitive number search tools

From: "Woodruff, Dan" <dwoodru2 () UR ROCHESTER EDU>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 13:39:14 -0400

We've also purchased Identity Finder and for searching Linux machines,
we have massaged a solution that works fairly well if the goal is a
onetime cleanup and not recurring searches. We share the directory to be
searched via Samba, mount the drive on a Windows machine that has
Identity Finder installed, and then right-click search the drive (need
to have the Explorer shell extensions enabled via policy).

The search will be a bit slower than running on a locally attached disk,
but it will work and as long as the user account that mounted the share
has the correct permissions, you will be able to Shred/Scrub/otherwise
remediate within the Identity Finder client.

Hope that helps,

Dan Woodruff

University IT Security and Policy

University of Rochester