Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Rethinking the DMZ

From: Justin Azoff <JAzoff () ALBANY EDU>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 15:42:43 -0400

On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 01:53:48PM -0400, Haines, Ena wrote:
If the IT dept has 250 servers managed by 3 or 4 admins, then what?
Are any of your server admin teams happy with a system for managing
the "personal firewall" on each server? Can you set it locally and
forget it every time you deploy a new server? Don't your port
requirements change as ours do when there's an app upgrade or a
middleware upgrade, etc.?

Some days it seems as though it's really about manageability.

I don't run 250 systems, it's closer to 25, but I easily manage the
firewall rulesets on multiple servers centrally with puppet.  Every
service that needs a port opened pushes out a coresponding '.rules' file
that gets dropped in /etc/firewall.d/.

Since I set this up I haven't had to touch the firewall ruleset on an
individual machine.

--
-- Justin Azoff
-- Network Security & Performance Analyst