Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

IDS/Data Recorder

From: Terrance Humphries <tjay () BYU EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 19:19:37 +0000

We are in the process of upgrading our network to 10gig and as a result we need to upgrade some of our security tools.
One of our tools, the Solera IDS/Data Recorder, management wants us to justify and find out what other Universities are
doing.  Your help would be greatly appreciated.
1. What IDS system do you use?
2. What was the procurement cost for your IDS (roughly)?
3. Can you do network traffic analysis for forensics?
4. What do you use for network forensics?
5. How many people do you have to support IDS/network fornesics?

Thanks,

Terrance Humphries CISSP
OIT Security Director
tjay () byu edu
801.885.3100
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's
money".  ..ALEXIS De TOCQUEVILLE