Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Invitation to participate in research project: Employee Perceptions of Security Policies

From: Martin Manjak <mmanjak () ALBANY EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 09:49:25 -0400

Dear Colleagues:

A friend and collaborator, Prof. Sanjay Goel, of the School of Business
at the University at Albany, is conducting a study examining employee
perceptions and attitudes towards an organization's information security
policies/practices. (FYI, the dean of the Psychology dept. is a co-author.)

I just completed the survey which took me about 12 minutes.

For individuals in the information security field, if nothing else, the
survey will make you aware of some of the possible attitudes that
employees will have towards your institution's security requirements,
i.e., the criteria they will use to evaluate security policies and
controls will differ markedly from our frame of reference. This is worth
knowing and be reminded of.

I therefore encourage you to consider completing the survey, despite the
fact that we are in large part a biased population.

Marty Manjak

<---begin message--->

PERCEPTIONS OF INFORMATION SECURITY IN ORGANIZATIONS:

Invitation to participate in a survey study.

You are invited to be a participant in a research study examining
employee perceptions of information security policies in organizations.
 Researchers at the University at Albany have developed an online survey
to investigate factors that influence the perceived effectiveness of
information security policies in organizations.

The ultimate goal of the research project is to identify ways of
improving information security and reducing security breaches in
organizations.  We anticipate that the results from this survey will
also help us tailor education and training to improve security.

Your participation in the study is strictly voluntary and all responses
will be kept confidential.  Your responses will be anonymous and IP
address are NOT identified or recorded.   No identifying information is
requested so no one can know who completed the survey.  Your responses
will go directly to the research team and will not be shared with anyone
in your workplace.  Only aggregate or summary responses will be reported
in scholarly reports or papers.

Thank you for considering to participate in this survey study.

To participate, please copy and paste the following URL into your browser:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PerceptionsInfoSecurity

If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Goel at goel () albany edu.

<---end message--->
--

Martin Manjak
CISSP, GIAC GSEC-G

The University at Albany will never ask you to reveal your password.
Please ignore all such requests.