Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Google Maps offering to "map our locations"....concerns??

From: "Routen, Nathan" <NRouten () MAIL TWU EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 19:18:29 +0000

Anyone can add this detail themselves or Google can help. http://maps.google.com/floorplans

"Submit your entry for a chance to win and help your university at the same time! Join together with up to three other
student mappers to add high quality edits like university buildings, walking paths, public spaces, or restaurant
hangouts near your campus using Google Map Maker, and your efforts could win a grand prize package worth more than
$5,000 USD for your team.

Map universities, campus organizations, local businesses, university buildings and so much more! Adding these features
to the map will help students and visitors alike when they visit your campus. Having a complete, accurate and rich map
on Google helps people in your campus community, businesses, tourism boards, civil services and even emergency rescue
workers.

Did you know you can help improve indoor maps of your campus? Universities can use indoor maps to help new and
returning students locate their classrooms, highlight important areas of buildings (such as specific administrative
offices) and navigate in libraries or gymnasiums. After obtaining the necessary permissions and ensuring that your
submission complies with our content guidelines, go to http://maps.google.com/floorplans and follow the instructions to
put your university's floor plan on Google Maps.  Important note:  Indoor maps submissions are not part of an official
entry to the contest, but can make the map of your campus even more complete!

Be recognized and rewarded for your mapping contributions. The contest winning mapping team will be a local campus
hero.  Top mapping contributors appear on Google Map Maker and ultimately on Google Maps."

http://sites.google.com/site/mapyourworldcommunity/competition/2012-us-ca-universities

Nate