Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: security management techniques

From: "Stephen C. Gay" <sgay () KENNESAW EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:52:41 -0400

David,

When founded in 2006, we designed our program at Kennesaw State University around NIST's 800-53 classes (technical,
operational, and managerial). All projects were mapped into these categories and it was easy to communicate to a
technical / InfoSec audience. Even so, we found the classes did not lend themselves to mapping into the mission of the
organization nor proactive safeguards.

We transitioned our program over to the ISO 27001 framework in 2011 and it has provided for a more complete picture of
our information security program. We did pay for the documents (cost is fairly reasonable) but you may want to start
with the numerous Educause presentations regarding the framework. They will give you the general idea and touch on
advantages / disadvantages.

Stephen C Gay CISSP CISA
ITS Associate Director - Information Security Office
KSU Information Security Officer
Kennesaw State University
sgay () kennesaw edu