Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Consensus About Open Guest Access

From: Jim Pardonek <jpardonek () LUC EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 13:01:32 -0500

Ok so I'm hijacking my own email thread.  Those of you that host
conferences, how do you handle guest WLAN access for the conference
attendees and presenters?  I've checked the guest access pages from
several edu's but they only mention sponsored guest access and really
don't address a conference.  We are in the process of separating our
medical schools from our hospital.  They have had their own methods of
supplying guest access which in my view is not very secure nor does it
make anyone accountable for usage.  We struggle with having a set of
conference IDs that we recycle and change the passwords on after every
conference.  We were thinking that since we have to address this at our
med schools, we may want to look at our conference guest access for the
whole university.

Thanks,

Jim

James Pardonek, CISSP, CEH
Information Security Officer
Loyola University Chicago
1032 W. Sheridan Road | Chicago, IL  60660

(: (773) 508-6086
"Routen, Nathan" <NRouten () MAIL TWU EDU> 6/11/2012 1:30 PM >>>
Here is one specific example to consider..

Any traffic that remains within the University's private network does
not need to be CALEA compliant as it falls within the "Private Network"
exception.  However, communication traffic that travels to the Public
Switch Telephone Network (PSTN) or the Public Internet does have a CALEA
requirement.  At that point, it must be decided who has the CALEA
obligation.  If the University acts as its own ISP, I would assume that
they have the obligation.  Also, if the University implements dynamic IP
addresses for local end points it would need to provide the end user
associated with that dynamic address for an authorized interception.

As you have probably noticed, determining whether an entity needs to be
CALEA compliant is not a simple question.  I suggest that you pose the
question to your legal resources before initiating any action.

Nate