Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Consensus About Open Guest Access

From: "Routen, Nathan" <NRouten () MAIL TWU EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 18:30:18 +0000

Here is one specific example to consider..

 Any traffic that remains within the University's private network does not need to be CALEA compliant as it falls
within the "Private Network" exception.  However, communication traffic that travels to the Public Switch Telephone
Network (PSTN) or the Public Internet does have a CALEA requirement.  At that point, it must be decided who has the
CALEA obligation.  If the University acts as its own ISP, I would assume that they have the obligation.  Also, if the
University implements dynamic IP addresses for local end points it would need to provide the end user associated with
that dynamic address for an authorized interception.

As you have probably noticed, determining whether an entity needs to be CALEA compliant is not a simple question.  I
suggest that you pose the question to your legal resources before initiating any action.

Nate