Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Digital Signatures

From: "Hubert, Wesley R" <whubert () KU EDU>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 18:47:25 +0000

Bryan‹ After operating a PKI system based on an in-house certification
authority for several years, KU switched to certificates from DigiCert. It's
nice since our digital signatures (such as on this email) are now recognized
without need to install a KU root cert. Each person gets 2 certificates.
DigiCert keeps an escrowed copy of the private key that goes with the
encryption certificate so it can be recovered by the user if, for example,
they forget their password or by KU (through a multi-person process) if we
need to access the key for discovery purposes. The private key that goes
with the authentication certificate is generated directly on the requesting
user's system so it can be used for digital signing with nonrepudiation
since no one except the owner has access to it. We use these primarily for
email, but they can be used for digital signatures on MS Word documents
(Windows, not Mac) and Acrobat (multiple platforms). Our contract provides
fixed cost regardless of how many certificates we issue. InCommon offers a
similar certificate program through Comodo with similar features, but we've
been very happy with the service and support from DigiCert.

We're not using these for distance education, but they would seem to be a
good fit for that application. One issue there would be how to verify a
student's identity when initially issuing a certificate to them. Please
contact me off-list if you have questions.

--Wes Hubert <whubert () ku edu>
Information Security Analyst
IT Security Office, KU Information Technology
The University of Kansas, Lawrence KS 66045