Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Cyber Security Data Usage Survey

From: Nick Giacobe <nxg13 () PSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 15:41:37 -0400

EDUCAUSE Security Colleagues,

I am Nick Giacobe, a graduate student and cyber security researcher at Penn
State University.

I would like to invite you to participate in a study examining situation
awareness in cyber security. As part of a grant-funded research project
within the College of Information Sciences & Technology, we are conducting
research on how network security professionals make sense of the cyber
environment in their everyday work. As part of this research we seek you
participation in an online survey.

https://pennstate.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_23Sp1dE6fBSQ9ko

What is this Research About?

This research is part of a larger grant to develop tools and techniques to
facilitate cyber security. Specifically, we seek to develop both an
empirical and theoretical understanding of the ways in which network
security professionals develop the "big picture" of their cyber environment
and to use that understanding to inform the design of new technologies to
facilitate and improve cyber security.

What are you being asked to do?

We are you to complete an online survey that asks questions about the cyber
security data that you have access to and how you use it to develop
situation awareness. We will not be asking questions intended to reveal
proprietary or sensitive information about your specific work situation.
You may skip any question you like, or stop the survey at any time.

What are the benefits to you for participating?

You will have access to the insights we draw from the data collection
session in the hope that they will be useful to you in your everyday work.

How much time will your participation require?

The survey is expected to take approximately 20-30 minutes to complete.

If you are interested in participating, please click on the link below.  If
you have any questions or concerns, please contact Nick Giacobe
nxg13 () ist psu edu or by phone at 814-865-8233.

https://pennstate.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_23Sp1dE6fBSQ9ko

---

Nick Giacobe

Research Technologist V and Ph.D Candidate

College of Information Sciences and Technology

Penn State University

101 Information Sciences and Technology Building

University Park, PA 16802