Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Guest Wireless Access

From: Rob Milman <rob.milman () SAIT CA>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 15:20:22 -0600

We have a guest wireless network setup just for this purpose. We print cards with the SSID, userid and password and the
following disclaimer;

"This network is the property of <institution name> and may be accessed only by authorized guests of <institution
name>. Unauthorized use of this network is strictly prohibited and subject to criminal prosecution.
The data you send and receive over this network is not encrypted and may be viewed or intercepted by others. Use this
network at your own risk. Privacy and security safeguards are the user's responsibility; this network does not provide
any. <institution name> does not warrant or represent that this service will be uninterrupted, error-free, or secure.
Users should be aware that there are security, privacy, and confidentiality risks inherent in wireless communications
and technology. Users should have no general expectation of privacy or confidentiality when using this network."

The password expires in 24 hours so a new one is posted if it's a multi-day conference.

Regards,

Rob Milman

Security and Compliance Analyst, Information Systems, SAIT Polytechnic
Ph (403) 210.4229, Cell (403) 606.3173