Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Google announces privacy changes, no opt out for users

From: Tim Doty <tdoty () MST EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 08:24:08 -0600

On Wed, 2012-01-25 at 20:11 -0500, Bradley, Stephen W. Mr. wrote:
Amazing, Google just sent me their explanation in the notification e-mail.

Yeah... the explanation is that they reduced the privacy policy to one.
A deep explanation that certainly addresses the privacy issues. Two
links later I was able to browse the actual privacy policy which
essentially gives them carte blanch to do whatever they please with your
personal information (developing a new 'service' is one of the catch all
excuses given).

About the only thing I saw that they restricted themselves on was full
sharing with doubleclick is supposed to be opt-in only. Nice if true,
but completely ignores the widespread, and not mentioned whatsoever in
the privacy policy, google-analytics.

Nice of them right after I changed my default engine to Duck Duck Go.

Thanks to the pointers on this list I have switched now.

Another thing that troubles me is that virustotal has been increasingly
requiring javascript for the site to function. This has always bothered
me because there is no functionality on the site that requires
javascript, they just chose to implement it that way. And in the latest
revision it won't work unless you allow google.com.

I'm aware of some alternatives, but I'm curious about reputation. What
do people here use other than virustotal?

Tim Doty