Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Reviews for New Systems / Services

From: Alexander Kurt Keller <alkeller () SFSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 19:30:24 +0000

Hi Chris,

Our unit doesn’t have anything formal in place, but in the last year we have been making a cursory assessment of some
higher profile products before they are purchased/implemented. It isn’t always possible in our environment, but we
figured we had to start somewhere. Some of our inspiration came from HD Moore’s (Metaspolit author and Rapid 7 CTO)
talk at BSIDES in Feb 2011….who argues you will never have more leverage with the vendor (to address security issues)
than BEFORE you purchase the product.

My colleague Mike Regan and I gave a short presentation at the DET/CHE 2011 conference on this topic entitled “Securing
the Vendor”. Target audience was more for managers and technology generalists. Someone posted our slide deck here:
http://www.slideshare.net/DET_CHE_Conference_2011/regan-keller-sf-state-securing-the-vendor-mrak

Best,
alex

Alex Keller
Systems Administrator
Academic Technology, San Francisco State University
☛Burk Hall 155 ☎ (415)338-6117 ✉alkeller () sfsu edu<mailto:alkeller () sfsu edu>